Durags have become a fashion statement, popular not only for style but also their functional benefits. When choosing the perfect durag, you'll likely come across two options: silky durags and velvet durags. We'll dive into the pros and cons of each so you can choose the perfect durag for you.
This type of durag is a staple in the world of haircare and fashion. Known for their smooth, shiny fabric, which is often made of polyester. Here is our review of silky durags:
Pros of Silky Durags:
- Hair Protection: Silky durags are excellent for protecting your hair. The smooth surface minimises friction, reducing the risk of hair breakage and frizz, making them ideal for those with curly or textured hair.
Style and Versatility: These durags can come in a wide range of colours, allowing you to express your personal style. Whether you want a simple, look or something more vibrant, you'll have no trouble finding the perfect silky durag to match your vibe.
- Breathability: Silky durags are generally more breathable than velvet durags, which can be beneficial in warm weather or when playing sports.
Cons of Silky Durags:
- Slippery: The smooth fabric of silky durags can sometimes be slippery, making it a bit more challenging to tie securely, especially if you're new to wearing durags.
- Durability: Some silky durags may not be as durable as their velvet counterparts sue to their woven fabric which can ladder after time.
Velvet durags, as the name suggests, feature a velvety or suede-like texture on the outside. These durags have their own set of advantages and disadvantages:
Pros of Velvet Durags:
- Durability: Velvet durags are often more durable and less prone to wear and tear compared to silky durags.
- Warmth: The plush texture of velvet durags can provide extra warmth, which can be advantageous in cooler weather.
Cons of Velvet Durags:
- Friction: The texture of velvet durags can create more friction on your hair, which may lead to less comfort than a silky durag.
- Limited Style Choices: Velvet durags tend to have fewer colour and pattern options compared to silky durags, which may limit your style choices.
Which is right for you?
The choice between silky and velvet ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs. If hair protection, style versatility, and breathability is your priority, a silky durag might be the right choice for you. On the other hand, if you want a durag that offers a better durability and warmth, a velvet durag could be your best option. With each having their own unique strengths we can't say one is better than the other, so we recommend trying both. No matter which option you decide on, SHYNE offers a wide range of both silky and velvet durag styles for you to choose from.